1 cup Maida (all-purpose flour)
For the puri:
1/4 cup soji or rava
Cooking soda - 1/2 tsp.
Salt Oil for frying
Ingredients for paani:
Paani puri masala - 1 1/2 tsp.
Tamarind (soak in water) - lemon size
Sugar - 2 or 3 tbsp. or as required.
Jeera - 2 tsp.
Mint leaves - a few
Coriander leaves - a few
Green Chillies - 6 or 7
Lemon juice - 3 tbsp.
Any cooked dhal (Channa, Moong dhal, Green dhal....)
Cooked Potatoes (mashed)- 2
Method for making puris:
Method for paani:
- Mix all the above ingredients.
- Then, add water to the mixed flour to form a soft dough as you do for chappathi. Keep aside for 2 hrs. with a wet cloth covered for 2 hrs.
- Then take a ping pong ball sized lump and make a ball.
- Roll it into big thin rounds. It should be rolled in such a way that it`s little thick so that it can puff while frying.
- Take a round lid of any container with about 2 inches in diameter which should have sharp edges to cut the puris. Place this lid on the rolled round & make several small rounds. So, you may get 5 or 6 puris in a 10 cm(appro.) chappathi.
- Then, deep fry these puris. Similarly, do it for the remaining dough. Hope it makes around 30 puris.
- Take the pulp from soaked tamarind. It makes appro. 1/2 a cup.
- Grind green chillies, mint leaves & coriander leaves. Mix this ground mixture to the tamarind pulp, then add 1/2 cup of water, salt & paani puri masala. Keep this mixture aside. Check your taste for spicyness. Let us call this as spicy mixture.
- Then, add sugar to 2 cups of water, grind jeera & add to the sugar water. Also add lemon juice. Let sugar dissolve well. Check your taste for sweetness. Keep it aside. Let us call this as sugar mixture.
Take few puffed puris, place them in a plate & break the puffiness on its thiner side. Don`t break on both sides, then, paani comes out of the puri.
Add 1/2 tsp. of mashed potato, 1/2 tsp. of dhal, 2 tbsp. of spicy mixture & 1 tbsp. of sugar mixture (or) as per yr. taste.
Serve it immediately or else puri becomes soggy. You have to hold one full puri in your mouth. That gives you delicious taste. You will not leave this recipe after you tried it. Not only kids love it, it`s for all.
If you think making puris is a big deal to make, then buy readymade puris from Indian stores. I prefer to buy them so that making paani is just a matter of 15 - 20 mts. It`s becomes a quick evening snack or you can use it for brunch too.